Typically, air ducts need to be cleaned every three to five years according to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association
. Dependent on a lot of factors—like your home’s location, how many pets you have, and how frequently your air filter has been changed, to name a handful—you may require air duct cleaning
more or less frequently. So, how can you know for sure when it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? There are definitely some significant signs when it’s time.
Look for these clues:
- Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
- Is there a jam within your cold air return vent?
- Are your registers wafting out dust?
- When you gaze inside with a flashlight, can you see a collection of debris or pet fur?
- Have insects or rodents nestled in your ductwork?
- Can you hear sound other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
- When your vents are fully opened, do any have a smaller amount of airflow than others?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s probably time to ask Gordon Air Conditioning in Crestview about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
There are a few things you can do to help keep your ducts cleaner and prolong the amount of time between professional cleanings.
Above all, arrange annual HVAC maintenance with the specialists at Gordon Air Conditioning. A tune-up of your furnace each fall and your AC each spring, which should comprise of inspection, and prospective replacement, of your air filter, will help keep your HVAC system functioning efficiently, and may help keep your ducts clean.
You can also chat with the team at Gordon Air Conditioning about installing an air purification system. We offer the Lennox PureAir Air Purification System, Healthy Climate Carbon Clean 16 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate 11 Media Air Cleaner, Healthy Climate High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filtration System and Healthy Climate UV Germicidal Lights.
Other actions you can take include:
- Consistently dusting and vacuuming your home.
- Examining your air filters routinely and changing them when the manufacturer recommends exchanging them. Most filters will present dust on them after a short time in service, but they may not need changing.
- Sealing leaks in air ducts that allow dust to move in from areas like your attic.
- Trading poor or impaired air-duct insulation.
With an expert air duct cleaning and some preventive measures, you can help keep the air in your Crestview home clean and healthy. Give the pros at Gordon Air Conditioning a call at 850-250-0335.